Linking HR Strategy to Business Strategy
Optimizing the Impact of HR Practices on Business Results
A company’s human talent provides an unrivalled competitive advantage in today’s global environment. To optimize that unique ability, human resource professionals must design and foster an employee culture that directly aligns HR practices with organizational goals and actively contributes to the bottom line.
The Linking HR Strategy to Business Strategy program complements our Advanced HR program, augmenting the core competencies of HR professionals with business acumen and skills that will both engage senior teams and earn executive-level sponsorship and support.
Linking HR Strategy to Business Strategy gives HR professionals the deeper knowledge required to connect HR practices and programs to organizational success:
a) Understanding Business Strategy
You’ll enhance your knowledge of key business drivers and core elements of business models that impact business results. We’ll discuss market segmentation, product and service design, and how organizations create value. We’ll also explain the dynamic interplay between revenues, costs and risk, and demonstrate how strong HR practices contribute to profitability.
b) Mapping a Strategy
Learn how to create a well-designed and professionally executed HR strategy using key elements and best practices that ensure alignment with business goals. We’ll discuss how various stakeholder perspectives impact your plan and work with you to develop a strong framework that directly applies to your work environment.
c) Practices that Drive Results
HR disciplines can impact business strategy, but your leadership is crucial to success. We’ll show you how to leverage your training, development and performance management programs for organizational success, and how to fully engage your talent to keep them focused on business goals. You’ll also learn how to assess customer satisfaction and measure the effectiveness of your programs in relation to business goals.
d) Let's Talk Business
You’ll need to learn the language of numbers to successfully communicate and contribute to strategic discussions within your organization. We’ll show you how to design and measure programs that build loyalty and deliver value, and how to develop tactical approaches to partnerships that maximize your efforts.
Learning Beyond the Classroom
Our learning programs are focused on your growth:
- Opportunities to network with high-level colleagues from across the country
- Coaching from internationally-renowned facilitators with real-world experience
- Skills and strategies that directly apply to work environments
- Experience-based programming to test theories and ideas
- Mentoring beyond classroom sessions
Transforming knowledge into action
You'll learn how to:
- Create HR strategies that directly impact your organization’s revenue streams and cost management initiatives
- Support your organization’s risk management strategy by identifying and motivating top talent and high performing teams
- Speak the “language of business” and develop practices that produce specific and sustainable financial results
- Develop innovative programs and processes that earn the endorsement and sponsorship of senior business-line executives
- Optimize HR strategies and practices to create a positive employee culture that’s focused on and ready to contribute to organizational goals
HR practices that speak business
This program promises to deliver:
- Key HR practices that align with and contribute to successful business strategies
- Greater knowledge of key issues and decisions that drive successful initiatives
- Tools and resources to design, articulate, implement and measure the impact of successful HR solutions
- Effective collaboration between HR professionals and senior team leaders
- A motivated and talented team working together to build competitive advantage and business success
- HBR's 10 Must Reads on Strategy, by Harvard Business Review
- Relevant questions and business analysis tools to engage business leaders
HR professionals in the private and public sectors with five to ten years of experience in the HR field and a good working knowledge of primary HR disciplines
Jim Harrison is an international consultant and facilitator focused on strategy, sales and talent management for mid-sized to large organizations, including government, public service and healthcare organizations.
Jim started his career in financial services, working as a money trader for RBC/Dominion Securities. He has over 30 years’ experience in consulting, training, and executive coaching. He works with clients in North & South America, Europe, Australia, and Asia, and regularly facilitates strategy and training sessions for such well-known companies as IBM, Accenture, PwC, KPMG, Deloitte, Fuji, AGFA, TD Bank, AT&T, Deutsche Bank, and HSBC.
Jim received his B.Sc. degree in Finance from...
Read the full bio for Jim Harrison
Paul Juniper (MA, Geography (York); CHRL; CPHR; SPHR; SHRM-SCP; Honourary Life Member, HRPA) became the sixth Director of the Queen's University Industrial Relations Centre (Queen’s IRC) in 2006. Paul is a leading and respected figure in Canada's HR community, with over 30 years of experience in human resources and association leadership.
Paul is particularly sought for his views on the future of the human resources profession. He speaks regularly at conferences on trends in human resources, and the ways in which individuals and their organizations can continue to raise the bar on HR. Paul developed and designed the Queen’s IRC Advanced HR Certificate to meet the increasingly complex professional development...
Read the full bio for Paul Juniper